1. What is the purpose or research
question addressed in the paper? Is the purpose clearly stated at
the beginning of the paper?
2. Was relevant background literature reviewed? What is the
justification for the need of this study?
3. What research methods are used by the author(s)? Why were these
methods used? Are the methods appropriate for addressing the
4. What data is collected? How is the data analysed? Are the methods
of analysis appropriate?
5. What were the results? Are you convinced by the evidence
presented? Why or why not? (That is, do the authors provide enough
evidence to support their main arguments/conclusions?)
6. What are the conclusions? What are the main limitations (e.g., in
terms of methods, generalizability of the results, population
7. How does the study apply to geography in general and your
research in particular?